Monday, September 19, 2011

Group Crochet-a-long

I love my mom very very much. We are VERY close relationship-wise and geographically (our homes are 3 miles apart).

My mom has taught me crafts since I was a young child, from potholder looms, to yarn spool looms, to cross-stitch and friendship bracelets, and most recently quilting and crochet. She is an avid quilter, and I have taken up crochet with a passion. So with her 60th birthday approaching, it was a no-brainer that I would make her something for her big day.

While I am not a quilter, I found this amazing pattern on Red Heart Yarn (@redheartyarns) for a crocheted "Quilt Pattern" Log Cabin.

As this looked to be a very daunting task, as it's more complex than anything I have made before, I immediately recruited my sister and my sister-in-law, both of whom crochet on a regular basis, and possibly between our 3 heads and 6 hands we could figure out how to accomplish this.

We each set out to make 12 blocks, and then I would assemble and add the border. And 10 weeks later it was complete. We made a few small modifications to the pattern just based on our experience (and changed the border to be something "fancier").

The final result was met with tears from my mom, and a huge sigh of relief from us crocheters, that it was in-fact complete, and our greatest crochet accomplishment to date.

Check out pics up on Ravelry: 


No comments:

Post a Comment